Colonel Johann Andreas Kachlein


From the booklet "The Kichlines in America"

Prepared by Thomas J. Kichline


Andrew Kachlein, the youngest son of Johann Andreas Kachlein, and his second wife Ann Margaret Hahn, was born in the parish of Kuechleim or Kirchheim-Bolanden, duchy or principality of Nassau Weilberg, Germany, Dec.15, 1728, and came to Pennsylvania with his Mother and her second husband Michael Koppelberger, in the good ship "Francis and Elizabeth" arriving at Philadelphia, Sept. 21, 1742. Being under 16 years of age, he did not take the qualification required by the Act of Pennsylvania Assembly renouncing his foreign allegiance and pledging allegiance to the British Crown. He was naturalized at a session of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, called the Court of Nisi Prisis, held for that purpose, Sept. 29, 1765. See Pennsylvania Archives, Vol. 11, page 346. His older brother Peter was naturalized in the same manner April 10, 1759.

His residence from 1742 to 1764 is not definitely known, except that it was in Bucks County.

On December 11, 1764, he presented to the Justices of the Court of Quarter Sessions of Bucks County, his first petition to be recommended to the Governor for a license to keep a "House of Entertainment", His petition is as follows: ------

"To His Majesty's Justices of the Peace, holding Court of Quarter Sessions in Newtown, in and for the County of Bucks, the eleventh day of Dec. A. D. 1764.

The petition of Andrew Keithline of Rockhill Township, in said County Humbly Sheweth----

That Whereas your Petitioner having lately moved to the place where Joseph Insley hath for some years past kept a Public House of Entertainment and your Petitioner being desirous to follow the same Business, Humbly prays you would be pleased to give him a recommendation to his Honor the Governor, that he may be enabled to obtain a license, and your Petitioner as in Duty Bound will ever pray, etc."
Andrew Keithline.

The signature to this petition however is not the original signature of Col. Andrew Kachlein, bearing no resemblance thereto and not being spelled as he spelled the name. An examination of thet Bond given in pursuance of his recommendation to the Governor , however, gives an original signature which is here reproduced and corresponds with his signature to his will in 1781, and many others of his signatures found among the original papers of the Court.
Andrew Kachlein.

The tavern property to which he had lately moved as set forth in the above petition, was included in a tract or three tracts of land, aggregating 242 acres, lying on the Tohickon Creek, at the mouth of Three Mile Run, and extending into Rockhill, Bedminster and Haycock Townships; the Homestead and principal tract in Rockhill, at the present site of Church Hill.

The property Col. Kachlein purchased of the heirs of Samuel Dean, deceased. The first deed was signed by Samuel Smith and Martha, his wife; Hugh McHenry and Sarah his wife, and Mary Dean, for their three-eight interest in three tracts of 150 acres, 56 acres and 36 acres, bears date of Jan. 2, 1765, and is recorded in Deed Book No. 19, page 265, etc. Samuel Dean had died intestate leaving seven children; Martha Smith, Sarah McHenry, Mary Dean, Joseph, James and Samuel Dean and Jemima, wife of Samuel Wallace. Samuel Dean conveyed his one-eight interest to Col. Kachlein Dec. 27, 1769; Joseph Dean his interest May 28, 1770; James Dean his interest Aug. 13,1774; and Samuel and Jemima Wallace their interest Aug. 14, 1780. On this tract Col. Kachlein lived from 1764 until his death Sept. 29, 1781. The tavern House, long since abandoned as a "House of Entertainment" stands on the West side of the Old Bethlehem Road nearly opposite the Tohickon Church, the land for which was given by Col. Andrew Kachlein.

On May 27,1777, Conrad Shoup and John Shoup, Executors of Henry Shoup conveyed to Colonel Kachlein 160 acres and 55 perches of land in Rockhill and Haycock Townships, on Tohickon Creek and Three Mile Run adjoining the Dean Tract. On Aug. 15 1777, Col. Kachlein conveyed to George Phillips 26 1/2 acres of the Shoup tract; and on June 16, 1777, 60 acres and 55 perches of the same purchase lying in Haycock, to Henry Loux.

He also secured a warrant of survey for 43 1/2 acres in Haycock, which he conveyed to Henry Slesman April 26, 1777.

On Jan. 30, 1776, Jeremiah Vastine conveyed to Ludwig Wildonger of Bedminster; Andrew Kachlein or Rockhill, Innholder; John Shellenberger and Jacob Reed of Hatfield, 61 acres of land in Hilltown, which these same parties conveyed to Henry Price of Lower Saucon, April 1, 1779, and in this latter deed Col. Kachlein is joined by his second wife Catharine. The deeds before mentioned were made by him alone; therefore he was a widower as early as April 27,1777 and had married his second wife Catharine Trexter, widow, by April 1, 1779.

Col. Kachlein was one of the trustees to whom Jacob Weisel conveyed a tract of land on July 28, 1767, on which he and his neighbors had erected a School House for the use of the neighborhood.

He had also donated to the Church, one acre and five perches, out of his homestead tract, as shown by a reservation in the deed made by his son Abraham, when he sold that tract in !787.

With the opening of the struggle for National Independence, Andrew Kachlein took an active part in the patriot cause of his adopted country.

When the several townships were called upon by the Committee of Safety ( the governing body in the formative period of 1775, composed of representatives from each township in the County) to form themselves into associated companies, one in each township, to "learn the art of war", Andrew was selected as Captain of the Associated Company of Rockhill, organized Aug. 19, 1775. See Penn. Archives Vol. XIV Second series, page 170.

Whether he saw active service with this local organization, designed Primarily to train the men available for Military service in each community in the art of war does not appear. That he possessed military skill is apparent from his selection as Captain, and it is probable that he had seen service in the provincial French and Indian Wars of 1758-1764.

On Jan.5,1776, Andrew Kachlein was commissioned First Lieutenant of Cap. Thomas Craig's Company, in the Second Pennsylvania Battalion, Continental Line, under Arthur St. Clair. This company was raised principally in Northampton County, but contained a number of Bucks Countians besides Lieutenant Kachlein. The Battalion was associated with the Fourth and Sixth Battalions, raised under Resolution of Congress of Oct. 9, 1775, and marched to New York under command of Lieutenant Col. Allen, and was ordered to proceed to Albany to take part in the second expedition against Canada. On May 6, 1776, the Battalion under Lieut. Col. Allen was within 5three miles of Quebec, when they met General Thomas of the first expedition retreating from Quebec. They subsequently took part in the movements designed to cover the retreat of General Arnold, the several skirmishes with the British and Indians, and the trying battle of Three Rivers, begun June 8, and continuing until June 16,, during which the men suffered terrible hardships, advancing, retreating, and countermarching in the swamps and wilderness, the victims of treacherous guides, without sufficient food, shelter or clothing; often cut up in small detachments and practically lost for days at a time from the main command. When the Battalion was ordered back to Ticonderoga, Lieut. Kachlein secured his discharge and came home.

On July 1,1776, when Bucks County was reorganized for active service, he was elected Col. of the Third Battalion, Bucks County Militia.

On Jan. 22, 1776 Col. Kachlein was appointed, together with James Wallace and Joseph Fenton, Junior, by the Bucks County Committee of Safety, to go to Philadelphia to be instructed in the method of manufacture of saltpetre, at the request of the State Committee, that manufacture of Gunpowder might be established in the County. In the letter of Henry Wyncoop, Bucks County's representative in the Council of safety, transmitting the record of the appointment of the Committee to the state Body he says:---"These are persons of reputation and influence in different parts of the County and upon their return will set up works at their respective homes".

See Penn. Archives, Second Series Vol. XIV page 355, and Old Series Vol. IV page 702.

On July 1, 1776 a complaint was made to the Committee of Safety holding its session at Bogart's Tavern in Buckingham, by Joseph Savitz, John Londwie, Valentine Opp, George Hurleur, Henry Hoover, Benjamin Seigle, and Michael Smith , Captains of the Companies composing the Third Battalion, that Andrew Kachlein, Col. of said Battalion , " had use undue influence in procuring himself elected". The Committee agreed to take the matter into consideration at the next meeting and ordered the said parties to be notified to attend. However there is no further record of the matter, and is probable that the complaint was promoted by jealousy of unsuccessful aspirants for the position. The trouble had a faint echo two months later when difficulty was experienced in getting two or three companies of Col. Kachlein's Battalion to march when called for active service, as shown by Col. Hart's letter of Sept. 2, 1776, from Amboy.

Col. Kachlein and his Battalion saw considerable active service in Jersey, and Gen. Davis made the statement in his History of Bucks County that he was promoted to the rank of Major on the field of Monmouth.

Col. Kachlein was appointed a Sub-Lieutenant for Bucks County, March 12, 1777, and served as such until his death; William McHenry being appointed to succeed him, Oct.10 1781, about two weeks after his death. Abraham Kachlein, eldest son of the Colonel was commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Second Battalion, Bucks County Militia, May 5, 1777.

Catharine Kachlein, widow of Andrew, petitioned the Orphan's Court in 1782, for the appointment of guardians for her two children by Col. Kachlein, and John Heany was appointed guardian for Sarah and Catharine Kachlein, the latter being the "unborn child" mentioned if the will of her father. Catharine again petitioned for guardians for these two children, June 1788, John Heany being deceased, and Michael Stoneback was appointed. Catharine herself petitioned for a guardian in 1799, when Manus Yost was appointed; Sarah had probable become of age at that date.

John Kachlein was a minor at the death of his father, under 14 years of age, and on his own petition John Heany was appointed his guardian. Abraham Kachlein was appointed guardian of his sister Susanna and brother Peter in 1782, both being under the age of 14 years.

The account of Charles and Abraham Kachlein as Executors of Col. Kachlein's will, shows the amount of the Inventory 1030 pds., 4 s. 8 d. to which is added 119 pds. 2 s. 9 d. increase on sales. They include on the Dr. side the items of State money, Continental money and Loan Office Certificates mentioned in the inventory, but in that case the items are not added nor any part of the same carried into the account. The balance was shown by the account was 467 pds. 6 d. The credit side shows payments by Abraham to Col. Hart, Company Lieutenant for moneys left in the hands of Col. Kachlein as Sub-Lieutenant of the County.

Catharine Kachlein, widow of Col. Andrew Kachlein, purchased 322 acres of land in Haycock Township, of Conrad Good, April 10, 1783, and removing to that Township continued to reside there until her death about 1826. Her son by her former marriage, who settled her estate, was the cause of her Real Estate being sold by the Sheriff to pay a debt of his for which his mother was surety, His account as Administrator was excepted to and strenuously contested by John Fluck and John Diehl son-in-law and heirs of the deceased, for the reason that he failed to credit the Estate with the amount appropriated for the payment of his debts. This would indicate that the younger daughters of Col. Kachlein married respectively John Fluck and John Diehl.

Abraham Kachlein, the eldest child of Col. Andrew and Susanna Kachlein born July 28,1753, inherited the Rockhill homestead as shown by the will of his father. He sold it however by deed dated July 25, 1787, to Henry Trumbauer, and removed to Haycock Township, where he died about Dec. 1, 1837, leaving only one son, Samuel, who died in Doylestown in 1853; and three daughters--- Elizabeth, Hannah, and Susanna. Elizabeth married George Keller, and has left issue. Samuel Kachlein's descendants are W. Harry Cadwallader, son of his daughter, Mrs. Benjamin Cadwallader, and a daughter of his son Samuel, now married and residing in North Carolina.

Jacob Kachlein, the second son of Col. Kachlein released the legacy under his father's will, which his elder brother Abraham was to pay, April 8, 1783. In 1787 , he petitioned the Orphan's Court setting forth that Col. Kachlein, his father, died intestate as to a tract of land in Haycock Township and praying for inquest to make petition thereof. The matter was held under advisement by the Court, and there is no further record. His residence is given in these petitions, as Haycock Township.

Peter Kachlein, the third son of Col. Kachlein, was under fourteen years of age at the death of his father,according to the petition for guardian, but signed release of his legacy to his brother Abraham, July 20, 1787, so must have reached his majority at that time.

John Kachlein, the youngest son of Col. Kachlein, who inherited the Shoup Plantation at Church Hill, Bucks County, under his father's will was under fourteen years of age at the death of his father in 1781. He learned the trade of a blacksmith and continued to reside in Rockhill until 1808, when he purchased a farm in Richland and moved there. He sold a part of his Rockhill farm, 58 acres of the 114 acre tract, May 6. 1792, to Joseph Hoffert, and 22 acres to Elizabeth Solliday on Dec. 19, 1792. He acquired several tracts of land in Richland and Milford, two of which he conveyed to his son John in 1828. Of the daughters of Col. Kachlein we have no definite record.

Col. Kachlein had seven hundred acres of land in Northumberland County. His sons Jacob and Peter may have gone there.

As heretofore mentioned Col. Andrew Kachlein was born Dec.15, 1728 and died Sept. 22, 1781. Her was married to Susanna, who was born Sept. 1, 1734 and died Mar. 22, 1777. She is buried beside her husband, Andreas Kachlein, in the Tohickon Church Cemetery, Bucks County, Penna.

The Youngest son of Andreas Kachlein and his wife Susanna, was John Kachlein, born Feb. 26,1768, and died July 23,1852. He was married to Elizabeth Kepler, born Oct. 9, 1776 and died Dec. 10, 1861. They are both buried in the Trumbauersville Cemetery, Bucks County, Penna.

Jacob Kachlein, one of the sons of John and Elizabeth, was born April 9,17905, died Sept.28, 1854. He was married to Christina Schlifer Oct.5, 1817, and she was born Oct 31, 1795 and died April 18, 1884. Jacob Kichline is buried in the Old Williams Township Cemetery and his wife, Christina Schlifer Kichline, is buried in the Trumbauersville Cemetery, Bucks County, Penna.

They had a son Jacob Kichline, born June 4, 1821, and died March 11, 1911. He was married to Sarah Elizabeth Kline, Sept. 1, 1849. She was born March 12, 1827 and died Sept. 12, 1897. They are both buried in the Lower Saucon Cemetery.

One of their sons, the youngest, is Thomas Jefferson Kichline , ( author of this booklet) born July 5, 1865, severing at present as Clerk of Orphan's Court of Northampton County. He was married Dec. 21, 1889 to Maud Shimer, who was born Oct.14, 1869.

Children:---
    Roy Franklin Kichline, born Jan. 28, 1891 and died Jan. 30, 1915. Buried at Bangor, Penna.
    Thomas Elwood Kichline, born Nov. 22, 1892---living
    Ronald Chester Kichline, born Jan 4, 1894-------living
    Marion Evelyn Kichline, born July 29, 1902, and died June 14 ,1925, buried at Bangor, Penna.