‘‘Honor thy Father and Thy Mother that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.’’ By ‘‘Father and Mother’’ we are to understand our ancestry iii generations past. We are not now created, but born into the world. The ‘‘honor’’ we are to bestow implies love and respect to our ancestry to keep green their memory and show ourselves worthy of and grateful for them.
Always imbued with the true spirit patriotism, frequently, and fittingly
commemorating and ever remembering the historic deeds recorded and the
heroic chapters written in letters of immortality in recognition of some
of our illustrious kinsfolk, let us twine each thread of the glorious tissue
of our Country's Flag about our heartstrings; and looking upon Our homes
and catching the spirit that breathes upon us from the battlefields of
our fathers, let
us firmly resolve, come weal or woe, we will, in life and in death, now and forever stand by the Stars and Stripes.
When three young members of this historic family came to this great new country, its many advantages and resources were practically unknown, Today these United States well merit the position of the greatest Nation under the sun.
When the three young brothers, with their mother, sailed from Rotterdam in 1742, the eldest, not 20 years of age, and the youngest, 14, to better their condition in the new world of America, no one dreamed what a great nation the small handful of people in the Colonies would become. The people in those days must have had stout hearts and strong wills to break up all home ties and to go away into a new country to make a home.
What little I know about the family I have learned in various ways - from histories, Colonial Records, the Pennsylvania Archives, and from the people.
The original spelling of the name was “Kuechlein” and is given so on the ship's list. The name is spelt at the present time in various ways, but it is the same name and family. In going over wills and other papers, I have come across the name spelt in different ways in the same paper, and even on the same page.
The early settlers of Pennsylvania were of many nations - the Swedes, the French, the Germans, the Swiss, the Irish, the Scotch and the English, as we can tell by the names. From the records, I think they spelled phonetically during the Colonial and Revolutionary period. It is not to be wondered at, I suppose, as the people spoke the language of their native homes among themselves in each settlement. The records were kept in English; therefore the names were hard to Anglicize. The earliest mention I have seen any record of the name “Kuechlein” was in Switzerland, so we must conclude that we are descended from hardy Swiss forefathers.
‘Whether the umlaut, or accent over the “ue” was in the original Swiss spelling or not, I am not sure. It may have come there after their migration to Germany, but I think was likely in the original, as they lived at Basel in the Canton of Zurich, which borders on the River Rhine which flows between Switzerland and Germany, and is German in habit and language to a great extent. The umlaut over the ” gave the English sound of “a” to the “ue”.
In or about the year 1528 one Heinrich (1) Kuechlein was born at Listal, Switzerland. He married Appolonia Martine, on Monday, the 4th day of August, 1550. They were blessed with a son Heinrich (2), born 1551. From this son we are descended. Sons were born and the name handed down for several generations, until we reach the sixth generation, when our direct ancestor Johann Andreas (6) Kuechlein was born.
They migrated to Germany about the year 1710, and settled in Kuechheim or Kirchheim in the principality of Nassau - Weilberg or the parish of Kuechheim or Kirchheim - Bolanden. It is understood they thus migrated for the purpose of educating their children.
Johann Andreas Kachlein, (or Kuechlein, as the Swiss name seems to have been originally spelt), the ancestor of the Kachleins or Kichlines of Bucks and Northampton Counties, Pennsylvania, was sixth in descent from Heinrich Kachlein, of Listal, Switzerland, horn 1528, according to an ancient Church Record of the parish of Kuechheim or Kirchheim - Bolanden, in the principality of Nassau - Weilberg, lying between the rivers Rhine and Main, in the District of Wiesbaden. Johann Andreas Kachlein was born at Listal, Basel, Switzerland, in 1680, and was married about 1709 to Anna Leisse, who was horn in 1687 and died July 11, 1721. By her he had six children, the baptisms and births of whom appear on the parish register, between the years 1710 and 1721. Whether any of these children survived infancy does not appear. Their names were Johann Jacob, Rudolph, Maria, Andreas, Maria Katharina, and Johann George. Inasmuch as by a second marriage he had another son Andreas, it can be safely assumed that the Son Andreas, born in 1712, died in infancy.
Johann Andreas Kachlein married second in 1722, Anna Margaret Hahn, of Heppenheim in Alzey, Rheinhessen, and the record of the birth of four children of this marriage are found on the parish registry of Kuechlein or Kirchheim - Bolanden, as follows:
John Peter Kachlein horn November 8th, 1722.
Andreas born 1724, died in the same year.
Karl Christian Joseph, horn 1726.
Johann Andreas Kachlein, born December 15th, 1728.
Johann Andreas Kachlein, the father, died at Kuechheim, Bolanden, September 23d, 1728, three months before the birth of the youngest son, and shortly thereafter his widow Margaret married Michael Koppelger or Koppelberger, whom, with her three surviving sons, John Peter, Karl or Charles, and Andreas, she accompanied to Pennsylvania in 1742, in the good ship "Francis and Elizabeth” which arrived in Philadelphia, September 21, 1742. Unfortunately a full roll of the passengers of this ship has not been preserved, but in Pennsylvania Archives, Second Series, Vol. XVII, page 231, is printed a list of the adult male passengers, including the names of Michael Coppelger, and of Johann Peter Kuechlein, the eldest son, then about nineteen years of age. The other two sons being under sixteen years of age were not required to qualify as subjects of the British Crown under the act of Pennsylvania Assembly, and therefore their names do not appear.
Michael Koppelger or Koppelberger, with his wife and three step sons and a daughter of his own (Elizabeth) probably followed the almost universal trend of Swiss and German migration up the Schuylkill to the Perkiomen and eastward along the branches of the latter into Bucks County, on the line of Milford and Rockhill townships. We find Peter Kachlein, the eldest son located in what became Northampton County, in 1752, prior to that date, but since he was of legal age he probably shifted for himself soon after his arrival in Pennsylvania.
The first trace we get of Michael Koppelberger, is in Hilltown Township, where he was residing June 6, 1763, when a mortgage was executed in his favor on April 27, 1771. A deed is made to him for 94 acres of land in Bedminister, adjoining the plantation. of his stepson Andrew Kachlein, near Tohickon Church at Church Hill, on the Bethlehem Road. In this deed he is mentioned as “Hilltown Township Farmer.”
Seven years prior to this date his stepsons Andrew Kachlein and Charles Kachlein had purchased farms in this locality, and his son-in-law Peter Shepherd had operated a mill on the Tohickon for at least as many years. The probability is that the stepfather and mother of the Kachleins had resided in that locality from a date soon after their arrival in Pennsylvania.
The will of Michael Koppelberger, of Rockhill Township, County of Bucks,
Farmer, is dated February 7, 1778, and was probated August 13, 1778, and
registered at Doylestown in Will Book No. 3, page 453. It directs that
all his. real estate and such personal effects as his “Beloved wife Margaret”
should not choose to retain be sold. 300 pounds of his estate is directed
to he put out at interest for the benefit of the wife Margaret during her
natural life; to “Son-in-law Peter Shepherd” is devised a legacy of 10
pounds. All the residue and remainder to he divided into four equal shares,
“One fourth thereof to my Son-in-law Peter Shepherd”
“One fourth thereof to my Stepson Charles Kachlein”
“One fourth thereof to my Stepson Andrew Kachlein”
“One fourth thereof to my Stepson Peter Kachlein”
After the death of the widow Margaret, the 300 pounds set apart for her use is also to be divided between his son-in-law Peter Shepherd and his three Step-sons equally. Stepson Andrew Kachlein is named as Executor. Witnesses Samuel Smith and Henry Slesman.
Andrew Kachlein as Executor, sold the Bedminster farm by deed dated October 1, 1778, to Peter Shive. See Deed Book No. 19, page 88, etc. Abraham Kachlein as Executor of his father's estate, filed the final account and settlement of the Koppelberger Estate in 1793, after the death of the widow.
A further account of Michael Koppelberger follows:— Michael Koppelger, who married Anna Margaret (Hahn) Kachlein, the widow of John Andreas Kachlein in Germany and brought her and her children to this country, was evidently known by the name of “Koppelberger” in spite of the fact that his name appears on the list of qualified passengers on the ship Francis and Elizabeth in 1742 as “Coppelger” and that he signed his name “Koppelger”. He even signed his will in that form though it is proved as Koppelberger, and so indexed and entered of record, while in the Orphans’ Court the name is entered “Coppelberger”.
In the Recorder of Deeds office, Doylestown, in Deed Book No. 11, page 137, is recorded a mortgage given June 6, 1763 by Henry Beringer of Hilltown, on a tract of SO acres in Hilltown to secure the payment of a certain amount of money to Michael Coppelberger of Hilltown Township, Bucks County, Province of Pennsylvania. On the margin of this record is an entry of satisfaction of this mortgage dated August 8, 1767, which is signed “Mic Koppelger”.
As before stated he purchased of Jacob Bergstresser, a farm in Bedminster
in 1771, and in that deed he is named as Michael Koppelberger of Hilltown,
Farmer. He makes his will in 1778 and signs it in the same manner, the
latter signature being badly blurred and shaky. An Inventory of the goods
and chattels of Michael Koppelberger, late of Bedminster, was made April
6, 1778. His residence in the will is given as Rockhill. The Inventory
consists of household goods, farming implements, stock, and utensils, and
“Bonds and Notes”
a Bond from Charles Kachlein 26 pounds
a Bond from Charles Kachlein 100
a Bond from Andrew Kachlein 18
Andrew Kachlein Dr. to 200 lbs. of meat at 1 s. 6 d 15
A bill from Philip Buy which is thought doubtful 10
A note from John Renner 3
A bond from Peter Shepherd 80
A bond from Jacob Weysel 16
A note from John Wirt 6
Cash in the Widow's hands 107
Appraisers: Samuel Smith and Michael Slesnnn.
On March 11, 1783, Charles Kachlein, as Executor of the will of John
Andreas Kachlein, who was Executor of “Michael Coppelberger’, presented
a petition to the Orphan's Court of Bucks County for the appointment of
Auditors to inspect and state the accounts of the Estate of said Michael
Koppelberger. These Auditors presented the account which was duly confirmed.
It gave the amount of the Inventory as 735 pounds 14 s. 5 d. in Continental
money, which reduced to hard money amounted to 122 pounds 12 s. S d.
The amount of advance on sales likewise reduced 12 11 s. 3 d.
Pounds 952 received for Real Estate depreciated to 115 12 s. 4 d.
Making a Total Estate of S20 “ 16 s. 0 d.
Total Estate of 250 pounds 16 s. 0 d.
The disbursements were 39 8 s. 9~ d.
211 7s. 2~d.
Deduct amount in Widow's hands 17 “ 17s 1 d.
Leaving amount in Executor's hands 193 10 s. 1~ d.
This amount being less than the specific legacy for the use of the widow during life there was no distribution to the stepsons and son in law.
On October 29, 1793, Abraham Kachlein as surviving Executor of John
Andreas Kachlein, who was Executor of Michael Koppelberger, filed a final
account, at which date the widow was deceased. The account was duly confirmed.
His residence from 1742 to 1764 is not definitely known, except that it was in Bucks County. On December 11, 1764, he presented to the Justices of the Court of Quarter Sessions of Bucks County, his first petition to be recommended to the Governor for a license to keep a “House of Entertainment”. His petition is as follows:—
“To His Majesty's Justices of the Peace, holding Court of Quarter Sessions in Newtown, in and for the County of Bucks, the eleventh day of December A. D. 1764.
The petition of Andrew Keithline of Rockhill Township, in said County Humbly Sheweth—
That Whereas your Petitioner having lately moved to the place where
Joseph Insley hath for some years past kept a Public House of Entertainment
and your Petitioner being desirous to follow the same Business, Humbly
prays you would be pleased to give hUn a recommendation to his Honor the
Governor, that he may he enabled to obtain a license, and your Petitioner
as in Duty Bound will ever pray, etc.
The signature to this petition however is not the original signature
of Col. Andrew Kachlein, hearing no resemblance thereto and not being spelled
as he spelled the name. An examination of the Bond given in pursuance of
his recommendation to the Governor, however, gives an original signature
which is here reproduced and corresponds with his signature to his will
in 1781, and many other of his signatures found among the original papers
of the Court.
The tavern property to which he had lately moved as set forth in the above petition, was included in a tract or rather three tracts of land, aggregating 242 acres, lying on the Tohickon Creek, at the Mouth of Three Mile Run, and extending into Rockhill, Bedminster and Haycock Townships; the Homestead and principal tract in Rockhill, at the present site of Church Hill.
This property Colonel Kachlein purchased of the heirs of Samuel Dean, deceased. The first deed was signed by Samuel Smith and Martha, his wife; Hugh McHenry and Sarah his wife, and Mary Dean, for their three eighth interest in three tracts of 150 acres, 56 acres and 36 acres, bears date of January 2, 1 765, and is recorded in Deed Book No. 19, page 265, etc. Samuel Dean had died intestate leaving seven children: Martha Smith, Sarah McHenry, Mary Dean, Joseph, James, and Samuel Dean and Jemima, wife of Samuel Wallace. Samuel Dean conveyed his one eighth interest to Col. Kachlein December 27, 1769; Joseph Dean his interest May 28, 1770; James Dean his interest August 13, 1774; and Samuel and Jemima Wallace their interest August 14, 1780. On this tract Col. Kachlein lived from 1764 until his death September 29, 1781. The Tavern House, long since abandoned as a ‘House of Entertainment” stands on the West side of the Old Bethlehem Road nearly opposite the Tohickon Church, the land for which was given by Col. Andrew Kachlein.
On May 27, 1777, Conrad Shoup and John Shoup, Executors of Henry Shoup conveyed to Colonel Andrew Kachlein 160 acres and 55 perches of land in Rockhill and Haycock Townships, on Tohickon Creek and Three Mile Run, adjoining the Dean tract. On August 15, 1777, Col. Kachlein conveyed to George Phillips 26~ acres of the Shoup tract; and on June 16, 1777, 60 acres and 55 perches of the same purchase lying in Haycock, to Henry Loux.
He also secured a warrant of survey for 43~ acres in Haycock, which he conveyed to Henry Slesman April 26, 1777.
On January 30, 1776, Jeremiah Vastine conveyed to Ludwig Wildonger of Bedminster; Andrew Kachlein of Rockhill, Inn holder; John Shellenherger and Jacob Reed of Hatfield, 61 acres of land in Hilltown, which these same parties conveyed to Henry Price of Lower Saucon, April 1, 1779, and in this latter deed Colonel Kachlein is joined by his second wife, Catharine. The deeds before mentioned were made by him alone; therefore he was a widower as early as April 27, 1777, and had married his second wife Catharine Texter, widow, by April 1, 1779.
Colonel Kachlein was one of the trustees to whom Jacob Weisel conveyed a tract of land on July 28, 1767, on which he and his neighbors had erected a School House for the use of the neighborhood.
He had also donated to the Church, one acre and five perches, out of his homestead tract, as shown by a reservation in the deed made by his son Abraham, when he sold that tract in 1787.
With the opening of the struggle for National Independence Andrew Kachlein took an active part in the patriot cause of his adopted country.
When the several townships were called upon by the Committee of Safety (the governing body in the formative period of 1775, composed of representatives from each township in the County) to form themselves into associated companies, one in each township, to ‘learn the art of war”, Andrew Kachlein was selected as Captain of the Associated Company of Rockhill, organized August 19, 1775. See Penn. Archives Vol. XIV Second series, page 170.
Whether he saw active service with this local organization, designed primarily to train the men available for Military service in each community in the art of war does not appear. That he possessed military skill is apparent from his selection as Captain, and it is probable that he had seen service in the Provincial French and Indian Wars of 17 58-1764.
On January 5, 1776, Andrew Kachlein was commissioned First Lieutenant of Captain Thomas Craig's Company, in the Second Pennsylvania Battalion, Continental Line, under Arthur St. Clair. This company was raised principally in Northampton County, but contained a number of Bucks Countians beside Lieutenant Kachlein. The Battalion was associated with the fourth and Sixth Battalions, raised under Resolution of Congress of October 9, 1775, and marched to New York under command of Lieutenant Col. Allen, and was ordered to proceed to Albany to take part in the second expedition against Canada. On May 6, 1776, the Battalion under Lieut. Col. Allen was within three miles of Quebec, when they met General Thomas of the first expedition retreating from Quebec. They subsequently took part in the movements designed to cover the retreat of General Arnold, the several skirmishes with the British and Indians, and the trying battle of Three Rivers, begun on June 8, and continuing until June 16, during which the men suffered terrible hardships, advancing, retreating, and counter marchlng In the swamps and wilderness, the victims of treacherous guides, without sufficient food, shelter or clothing; often cut up into small detachments arid practically lost for days at a time from the main command. When the Battalion was ordered hack to Ticonderoga, Lieut. Kachlein secured his discharge and came house.
On July 1, 1776, when Bucks County was reorganized for active service, he was selected Colonel of the Third Battalion, Bucks County Militia.
On January 22, 1776, Colonel Andrew Kachlein was appointed, together with James Wallace and Joseph Fenton, Junior, by the Bucks County Committee of Safety, to go to Philadelphia to be instructed in the method of manufacture of saltpeter, at the request of the State Committee, that manufacture of Gunpowder might be established in the County. In the letter of Henry Wyncoop, Bucks County's representative in the Council of Safety, transmitting the record of the appointment of this committee to the State body he says: These are persons of reputation and influence in different parts of the County and upon their return will set up works at their respective homes. See Penna. Archives, Second Series Vol. XIV page 355, and Old Series Vol. IV page 702.
On July 1, 1776 a complaint was made to the Committee of Safety holding its sessions at John Bogart’s Tavern in Buckingham, by Joseph Savitz, John Londwic,. Valentine Opp, George Hurleur, Henry Hoover Benjamin Seigle, and Michael Smith, Captains of the Companies composing the Third Battalion, that Andrew Kachlein Colonel of said Battalion, ‘lad used undue influence in procuring himself elected”. The Committee agreed to take the matter into consideration at the next meeting and ordered the said parties to be notified to attend. However there is no further record of the matter, and it is probable that the complaint was promoted by jealousy of unsuccessful aspirants for the position. The trouble had a faint echo two months later when difficulty was experienced in getting two or three companies of Ccl. Kachlein Battalion to march when called for active service as shown by Col. Hart's letter of September 2, 1776, from Amboy.
Col. Kachlein and his Battalion saw considerable active service in Jersey, and General Davis made the statement in his History of Bucks County that he was promoted to the rank of Major on the field of Monmouth.
Col. Kachlein was appointed a Sub-Lieutenant for Bucks County, March 12, 1777, and served as such until his death; William McHenry being appointed to succeed him, October 10, 1781, about two weeks after his death. Abraham Kachlein, eldest son of the Colonel was commissioned Second Lieut. in the Second Battalion, Bucks County Militia, May 5, 1777.
Catharine Kachlein, Widow of Andrew, petitioned the Orphan Court in 1782, for the appointment of guardians for her two children by Col. Kachlein, and John Heany was appointed guardian for Sarah and Catharine Kachlein, the latter being the “unborn child” mentioned in the will of her father. Catharine again petitioned for guardians for these two children June 1788, John Heany being deceased, and Michael Stonehack was appointed. Catharine herself petitioned for a guardian in 1799, when Manus Yost was appointed; Sarah had probably become of age at that date.
John Kachlein was a minor at the death of his father, under 14 years of age, and on his own petition John Heany was appointed his guardian. Abraham Kachlein was appointed guardian of his sister Susanna and brother Peter in 1782, both being under the age of 14 years.
The account of Charles and Abraham Kachlein as Executors of Col. Kachlein's will, shows the amount of the Inventory 1013 pounds., 4 ~ 8 d. to which is added 119 pounds. 2 s. 9 d. increase on sales. They include on the Dr. side the items of State money, Continental money and Loan Office Certificates mentioned in the inventory, but in that case the items are riot added nor any part of the sums carried into the account. The balance shown by the account was 467 pounds. 6 d. The credit side shows payments by Abraham to Col. Hart, County Lieutenant for moneys left in the hands of Col. Kachlein as Sub-Lieutenant of thy County.
Catharine Kachlein, widow of Col. Andrew Kachlein, purchased 32 acres of land in Haycock Township, of Conrad Good, April 10, I 783, and removing to that Township continued to reside there until her death about 1326. Her son by her former marriage, who settled her estate, was the cause of her Real Estate being sold by the Sheriff to pay a debt of his for which his mother was surety. His account as Administrator was excepted to and strenuously contested by John Flock and John Diehl sons-in-law and heirs of the deceased, for the reason that he failed to credit the Estate with the amount appropriated for the payment of his debts. This would indicate that the younger daughters of Col. Kachlein married respectively John Fluck and John Diehl.
Abraham Kachlein, the eldest child of Col. Andrew and Susanna Kachlein, horn July 27, 1753, inherited the Rockhill homestead as shown by the will of his father. He sold it however by deed dated July 25, 1787, to Henry Trumbauer, and removed to Haycock Township, where he died about December 1, 1837, leaving only one son Samuel, who died in Doylestown in 1853; and three daughters - Elizabeth, Hannah arid Susanna. Elizabeth married George Keller, and has left issue. Samuel Kachlein’s descendants are W. Harry Cadwallader, son of his daughter, Mrs. Benjamin Cadwallader, and a daughter of his son Samuel, now married and residing in North Carolina.
Jacob Kachlein, the second son of Col. Andrew released the legacy under his father's will, which his elder brother Abraham was to pay, April 8,1733. In 1787, he petitioned the Orphan's Court setting forth that Col. Kachlein, his father, died intestate as to a tract of land in Haycock Township and praying for inquest to make partition thereof. The matter was held under advisement by the Court, and there is no further record. His residence is given in these petitions, as Haycock Township.
Peter Kachline, the third son of Col. Andrew, was under fourteen years of age at the death of his father, according to the petition for guardian, but signed release of his legacy to his brother Abraham, July 20, 1787, so must have reached his majority at that time.
John Kachlein, the youngest son of Col. Andrew, who inherited the Shoup plantation at Church Hill, Bucks County, under his father's will, was under fourteen years of age at the death of his father in 1781. He learned the trade of a blacksmith and continued to reside in Rockhill until 1808, when he purchased a farm in Richland and moved there. He sold a part of his Rockhill farm, 58 acres of the 114 acre tract, May 6, 1792, to Joseph Hoffert, and 22 acres to Elizabeth Solliday on December 19, 1792. He acquired several tracts of land in Richland and Milford, two of which he conveyed to his son John in 1828. Of the daughters of Col. Kachlein we have no definite record.
Col. Kachlein had seven hundred acres of land in Northumberland County. His Sons Jacob and Peter may have gone there.
As heretofore mentioned Col. Andreas Kachlein was born Dec. 15, 1728 and he died September 22, 1781. He was married to Susanna, who was born September 1, 1734 and died March 22, 1777. She is buried beside her husband, Andreas Kachlein, in the Tohickon Church Cemetery, Bucks County, Penna.
The youngest son of Andreas Kachlein and his wife Susanna, was John Kachlein, born February 26, 1768, and died July 23, 1852. He was married to Elizabeth Kepler, born October 9, 1776 and died December 10, 1861. They are both buried in the Trumbauersville Cemetery, Bucks County, Penna.
Jacob Kichline, one of the sons of John and Elizabeth, was born April 9, 1795, died Sept. 28, 1854. He was married to Christina Schlifer October 5, 1817, and she was born October 31, 1795 and died April 18, 1884. Jacob Kichline is buried in the Old Williams Township Cemetery and his wife, Christina Schlifer Kichline, is buried in the Trumbauersville Cemetery, Bucks County, Penna. They had a son Jacob Kichline, born June 4, 1821, and died March 11, 1911. He was married to Sarah Elizabeth Kline, September 1, 1849. She was horn March 12, 1827 and died September 12, 1897. They are both buried in the Lower Saucon Cemetery.
One of their sons, the youngest, is Thomas Jefferson Kichline, born
July 5, 1865, serving at present as Clerk of Orphan's Court of Northampton
County. He was married December 21, 1889 to Maud Shimer who was born October
Roy Franklin Kichline, horn January 28, 1891 and died January 30, 1915. Buried at Bangor, Penna.
Thomas Elwood Kichline, born November 22, l892 - living.
Ronald Chester Kichline, born January 4, 1894— -living.
Marion Evelyn Kichline, born July 29, 1902, and died June 14, 1925. Buried at Bangor, Penna.
The earliest record we have of Charles Keichlein, is as a witness to a deed to his brother-in-law, Peter Shepherd, in 1763. At least this Peter Shepherd is named in the will of Michael Koppelberger as “Son-in-law” and given a special legacy of ten pounds, and an equal one fourth share of the estate with the three stepsons, Peter, Charles and Andrew Kachlein. His wife’s name being Elizabeth, he could not however have married a full sister of the Kachlein boys, or a daughter of John Andreas Kachlein by first marriage with Anna Leisse, as the two daughters born of the first marriage were named different, and by the second marriage there were no daughters. She was therefore a daughter of Michael Koppelger, either by Anna Margaret (Hahn) Kachlein, or by a former wife.
This Peter Shepherd was a miller and purchased in 1763, then a resident of Rockhill, a mill site on the Tohickon in Plumstead or Bedminster, the land extending across the Tohickon into Tinicum. Then he later purchased and operated a mill near Andrew Kachlein’s plantation on the Tohickon at Church Hill.
On March 28, 1 787, Robert Smith of Bedminster and Jane his wife, conveyed to Charles Keichlein of Bedminster a tract of 100 acres in Bedminster for the consideration of 400 pounds. This farm was rectangular in shape, fronting on the old “Great Road” from the Swamp Road at Dublin, by way of the “Elephant Tavern” to Church Hill and the Bethlehem Road, near its intersection with the Ridge Road. Its location was less than two miles from the Kachlein Tavern, the home of his brother Col. Andrew Kachlein, and the farm later purchased by his stepfather Michael Koppelger, lay between the two, almost adjoining both farms.
Here Charles lived until his death in 1788. Unlike his brothers Peter and Andrew, he took no part in the Revolutionary struggle so far as can be ascertained. His name appears on, the list of “Non-Associators” of Bedminster Township, in 1775. He was apparently loyal in his sentiments to the patriot cause, as in 1781, before In dependence was achieved, he was elected to represent upper Bucks in the Pennsylvania Assembly and served one term.
In 1791, Susanna, the widow of Charles Keichlein of Bedminster petitioned for guardians for her children Jacob, Mary, John and Andrew, under fourteen years of age, and Captain Manus Yost was appointed.
At a session of the Orphan's Court held May 7, 1792, Charles Kechline, of Bedminster, presented a petition setting forth that his father Charles Kechline lately died intestate, leaving a widow Susanna and issue of nine children to wit: five sons and four daughters - Charles, your Petitioner, eldest son, Joseph, Jacob, John, Andrew, Margaret, Elizabeth, Susanna, and Mary. Also at his decease, was owner of about one hundred and six acres of land situated in Bedminster, aforesaid.
Your Petitioner now prays that your Honorable Court would be pleased
to grant an Inquest to divide the premises between the widow aforesaid
and the children of said deceased, if the same can be done without prejudice
to or spoiling the whole - but if it can not be so divided to he valued
as the law directs.
The Sheriff was ordered to summon a jury of Inquest to divide or value the same and they made a return, valuing the same at 437 pounds, and returning the draft of survey of the tract showing its contents to the 1.07 acres, 21 perches. This return was filed August 6, 1792. See Orphan's Court record No. 2, page 178., 187.
Nothing further was done until February 24, 1795, when the Real Estate was adjudged to the second son Joseph Kechline, (due to proof having been made that Charles Kechline, the eldest son, refused to accept the same at valuation). Peter Ritter and Christian “Guhn” were approved as sureties. The Christian “Guhn” seems to have been Christian Kern., who signed in German, and his name was misinterpreted by the clerk.
Bonds were executed to each of the eight other children, that of Charles as eldest son being double the share of the others under the old intestate law. Inserted in the folds of the Bond to Charles, is a loose receipt dated March 21, 1795. for 58 pounds,. 6s. Sd., his share less the amount due him at the death of the widow; “and also 29 pounds Ss. 4d. being my sister Elizabeth's share.”
Margaret, the eldest daughter, had married Martin Zeigler and the Bend given to them, contains a loose receipt, made to Peter Zeigler, for 28 pounds 17 s. 4 d. “being the full amount of said Margaret's Share in the Real Estate of her father except the dower, and six shillings less in his hands to pay for procuring a deed therefor.”
Elizabeth, the second daughter, had married Jacob Weiss and her share was receiptd for by her brother Charles, as before stated.
Susanna and her husband Christian Kern, received a bond and executed a receipt in German dated March 21., 1795, which is witnessed by Jacob Kuchlein in German.
Manus Yost as guardian for Jacob, Mary, John and Andrew, files a receipt for their shares amounting in the aggregate to 127 pounds 15 shillings dated September 25, 1798.
The Dower charge in none of these Bonds has ever been satisfied.
On March 28, 1795, Joseph Kachlein of Easton, Taylor, conveyed the farm to Peter Ritter of Bedminster for 437 pounds, 10 shillings.
Charles Kechline, the eldest son of Charles and Susanna, a saddler by trade joined his brother Jacob, in the purchase of the old Brackenridge Tavern at the “forks of the Easton Road and Bethlehem Road”, in Springfield Township, from Henry Dotterer, dated April 1,1802. His interest therein was sold by the Sheriff “at suit of James Kachline”, says the deed, September 27, 1816, and purchased by his brother and partner in title, Jacob Kechline, who held it until he had purchased the Pipersville Tavern in Bedminster, selling it by deed dated April 6, 1833. Charles Kechline or Kichline was born 1766, died January 24, 1827. He married Jane Sperring of Easton, born 1771, died 1844. Their daughter Susanna married John D. Shafer, and their daughter Elizabeth, married John 5: Law. The children of John S. Law and Elizabeth, his wife, are John G. Law and Mary Alice Law of New York City.
Joseph Keichline, the second son of Charles and Susanna, was living in Easton as heretofore shown in 1 795.
A Joseph Keichline, living in Newport Township, Luzerne County, Penna. in 1830, had married Catharine, only child of Frederick Premour of Richland Township, and by deed dated September 3, 1830, conveyed to Samuel Diehl of Bedminster a farm of 42 acres in Richland. They also executed a. release or assignment of all interest in the Estate of said Frederick Premour, to said Samuel Diehl for $1198.88, dated September 3, 1830. Recorded in Miscellaneous Book No. 6, page 118.
Jacob Keichline, son of Charles arid Susanna purchased as before stated the Stony Point Hotel in 1802, arid his brother Charles’ interest therein in 1816. It is probable that Charles had lived there up to the latter date as on May 3, 1817, John Zelner of Nockamixon conveyed to Jacob Keichline of Bedminster, “Taylor” a tract of S acres and 4 perches in Haycock. His occupation is given as “Taylor” in the Dotterer deed in 1802.
He purchased the Piper's Tavern on the death of his father-in-law George Piper, in 1826. He had married Mary, daughter of George and Eve Piper and with Joseph Piper as executors of Col. Piper's will conveyed the tavern and four tracts of land in Bedminster and Plumstead to his brother John Keichline of Northern Liberties, Philadelphia County, “Potter” April 7, 1826, and John and his wife Elizabeth reconveyed them by deeds to Jacob on the same date.
We have no record of Andrew, son of Charles and Susanna. Jacob Markley of Warrington, by deed dated April 1, 1811., conveyed to a Charles Keichline, 34 acres of land in Bedminster.
We have no record of the marriage of Mary Keichline. The marriages of
the other three daughters are mentioned.
General Howe, in his dispatches, says that General Grant was killed by Kachlein’s men. They opened an effective fire upon the British. During the conflict, the sharp fire of Kachline’s and Atlee’s riflemen had more than once turned hack the advancing enemy, and it is believed that from Kachlein’s rifles oil the hill amid the defenders of Blacklie’s barracks, the enemy suffered the greater part of the loss reported in Grant’s division.
A gorge south of the present Greenwood Cemetery to a coast road from the Bay to Brooklyn ferry, was guarded by Pennsylvania musketeers and riflemen under Atlee and Kachline. (Bancroft’s History of the United States.)
In 1780, on the 30th of March, Colonel Kachline was appointed Lieutenant of the County under the Supreme Council of Pennsylvania, and on March 13, 1787, he was appointed Judge of the Court of Common Pleas (Penna. Archives)
In 1789, on the 23d day of September, he became the First Chief Burgess of Easton. Also a member of the First Constitutional Convention of Pennsylvania.
Colonel Kachline and his wives were buried in the Old Reformed Grave yard in Easton.
From the Easton Daily Argus of Thursday, September 21, 1890, we have
copied the following by the Historian of Easton.
When Peter Kichline was in active life, the county of Northampton included six large counties, and Easton was a frontier town, and thus became a place of great importance in the wars in which her citizens took an active part. Many of these people came to the wilds of Pennsylvania, exiles from their native Land, driven hence by persecution. They had been under the iron rule of Kings and Dukes, and the idea of personal freedom found a ready home in their minds. If they could not talk English they could shoot English; and they readily flew to arms when danger demanded courageous devotion to the cause of liberty. The German clergy had much to do with the development of patriotism in the early history of our state. The patriotic ardor of Rev. Michael Schlatter did much to arouse the daring and devotion in spirit among the Germans, but none did more to fire the hearts than Peter Kichline. He stepped into line when the first indications of the Revolutionary struggle were seen. When the cloud, no bigger than a man's hand, arose, foretelling the coming storm, our Chief Burgess was in the prime of life, in full vigor of his manhood. He followed no man. He was a leader whom others readily followed. Peter Kichline, with his mother, stepfather (Michael Koppelger) and two younger brothers, emigrated from Nassau Weilberg, and arrived in this country September 21, 1742, and settled in Bedminster, Bucks County, in the same year. He was horn in the parish of Kuechhesim- Bolanden, in the duchy of Nassau - Weilherg, on November 8, 1722, and was about 20 years old when he came to Pennsylvania. His name is first seen in the history of Easton in 1755, associated with William Parsons, James Martin, Peter Trexler, Esq., John Lefebre, Lewis Gordon and Peter Kichline, deputy trustees, appointed by the trustees general to take charge of the funds subscribed in England for the education of the poor Germans in Pennsylvania. He probably lived on his farm two miles west of Easton previous to this date. The first school house was built by subscription. William Parsons heads the list by a gift of five pounds and Peter Kichline subscribed two pounds. This school building was finished in 1755, and gave us the first free school in Pennsylvania. Peter Kichline had three wives. The name of the first was Margaret Umbehenden, born December 10, 1720, died February 20, 1766. His second wife’s name was Anna Doll, born December 2, 1746, died March 22, 1773. His third wife was Catharine Gwinner.
Peter Ihrie, father of General Peter Ihrie married Kichline's daughter Elizabeth. Peter Kichline had a son Peter who owned considerable land in Forks (now Palmer Township). Peter was the father of Jacob, David, Peter, Michael and John and Mrs. Elizabeth Ackerman. Peter was the father of Joseph Kichline, who lived and died on Sixth Street. He also had a son named Peter and he in turn had a son named Peter.
Here we have six sons of one name in the family line. Many of the descendants live in Easton and other parts of the State. General Heckman, of Philadelphia, and Rev. Dr. Heckman of Reading, are descendants of this old German or rather Swiss family. In 1774, the Revolutionary struggle seemed a foregone conclusion. The time seemed ripe for decided action looking forward to the defense of the liberties of the people, and it is a matter of pride among the people that the citizens took a decided stand for war at so early a date. There was no hesitation among the people when the rumbling of the distant thunder told of coming battle. On the 21st of December 1774, old Northampton began her work in the memorable struggle of the American Revolution. Notice having been given to the “Freeholders and Freemen” of the County, a meeting was held in the Court House, on the above named date, when George Taylor, Peter Kichline and Henry Kooken, Esquire, were chosen judges of election. The election of a committee of Safety followed and the following were members of that remarkable body of men - Lewis Gordon, Peter Kichline, Jacob Arndt, Michael Messinger, Melchior Hay, George Taylor, John Okely, Anthony Lerch, Jacob Morry, John Wetzel, Andrew Engleman, John Gressemer, Henry Kooken, David Deshler, Casper Doll, Joseph Gaston, Yost Dreisbaeh, Daniel Knows, Thomas Everett, Michael Ohl, John Hartman, Nicholas Kern, George Gilkert, Abraham Smith, Abraham Miller, Nicholas Depui, Manuel Gonzales and Abraham West, being nearly one from each Township in the County. This general committee elected a standing committee nearly central to Easton, that could do business for the County, and be easily called together. This committee consisted of George Taylor, Lewis Gordon, Peter Kichline, Jacob Arndt, John Okely and Henry IKooken, Esq., Lewis Gordon was chosen Treasurer, and Robert Traill was chosen clerk, which position he held till the Committee was disbanded. The general committee met January 9, 1775, and elected the following persons to represent them in the Provincial convention to he held in Philadelphia, January 23, 1775:— George Taylor, Lewis Gordon, Peter Kichline, Jacob Arndt and John Okely, Esq. Here we see the early history of our first Chief Burgess standing shoulder to shoulder with Gordon, Traill and Taylor, until they meet in the Provincial Convention in the city of Philadelphia.
But now we must follow him in his Military career. In May, 1775, the people of Northampton became convinced that the English Government had determined on war, and it became a serious duty to organize for the coming strife. Every Township in the County was called upon to enroll its fighting men, and elect officers for the companies in the several towns. There were twenty six Townships in the County, and each organized its company according to the number of men capable of hearing arms. There were fourteen towns whose quotas were larger than Easton which numbered eighty seven, while Mount Bethel numbered two hundred and twenty four. Peter Kichline was elected Captain of the Easton Company arid Abraham Lahar, Lieutenant. The force thus organized in the County was 2334 in number. The battles of Concord and Lexington had been fought and Bunker Hill was close at hand. It is quite difficult for us, at the present day, to appreciate the wild excitement that thrilled the hearts of the colonists, and prepared them for the unequal and painful struggle. They had gone ton far to retreat. There was no alternative but that of Battle, and the mixed population of Faston was drilling for the field. On the 28th day of August, 1775, the Committee of Safety held a meeting and passed a resolution advising the Captains and other officers of companies in the townships, to meet and divide the County into districts, and so to form the associated companies into battalions, and choose their field officers.
The Committee met at Easton, October 3, 1775, and the officers from the several townships in the County were present. At this meeting the County was divided into four districts, and the soldiers in each district were organized into a Battalion. The Military force of the County was thus organized into four Battalions. The first division consisted of Easton, Williams, Lower Saucon, Forks, Bethlehem, Plainfield and Mount Bethel. The number of men of these Townships was over Seven Hundred, which constituted the First Battalion. Of this battalion Peter Kichline was elected Colonel, and was preparing for the front. This arrangement was made nearly ten months before the battle of Brooklyn, and was evidently a preliminary organization, as we learn from the records of the Committee of Safety. Washington had driven the British out of the harbor of Boston in March, and he supposed New York City would be the next place of attack. In this he was not mistaken, for the fleet was moving South. The prospective attack of New York called the people of Northampton to more active measures, The troops were soon organized into a flying camp, and all were preparing for the front.
The Committee of Safety met July 17, 1776, and called for letters received from General Boberdean, of Philadelphia, which were read, and the Committee was startled by their contents. The following resolution was passed immediately: That the tax agreed upon on the 9th of the month he raised to defray the expenses of a bounty of three pounds to all who would enlist for the service, and serve in the “Flying Camp”; that the rates be 9 cents per pound; and that single mcli pay six shillings per head. The following was also resolved: That Captain Arndt’s Company now being raised to compose the “Flying Camp”, be the “RIFLE Company”. A resolution was also passed calling upon Captain Hyhner for two casks of gun powder for the troops. The “Flying Camp” was a new organization. Peter Kichline had been appointed Colonel of the first battalion nearly a year before this new organization had been formed. Isaac Sidman had been Lieutenant Colonel of the ‘Flying Camp”, but there was so much dissatisfaction with him that it was not thought safe to have the division go into action under him.
For this reason, at the same meeting of the Committee mentioned above,
Sidman was removed, and Peter Kichline appointed Lieutenant Colonel of
the new battalion, to he composed in part from Bucks County, and in part
from. Northampton. It has caused some confusion in the minds of the writers
to find Peter Kichline Colonel of the Battalion and to find Peter Kichline
Second Lieutenant in Captain Arndt’s Company. No distinction has been made
hitherto that the writer has discovered, but upon reading the records of
the Committee of Safety with more care, he has found the word Junior to
the name in Captain Arndt's Company. Here then we have the interesting
fact of father and son fighting side by side in the battle of Brooklyn,
each a commissioned officer in the Battalion. The action was begun by the
division of General Grant on August 27, 011 the land now occupied by Greenwood
CEMETERY. It was a hot contest, but no advantage was gained by the British
in this part of the field. It was at this point where the Kichlines were
engaged, and this is settled by the fact that the British Commander Howe,
wrote after the battle that General Grant was killed by “Kichline's riflemen”.
Colonel Kichline was wounded and taken prisoner. Lieutenant Kichline was
mustered in line unharmed at Elizabeth, N. J., after the battle. This seems
to the writer to he the true history of Easton’s relation to this battle.
Thus Colonel Peter Kichline contributed much towards saving Washington's
army from capture and enabling him to escape to White Plains.
The object of the Battle of Long Island was to preserve the city and harbor of New York, which the Continental Congress regarded as a strategic position of great military and commercial importance. It was the advice of Washington and Jay that Long Island be laid waste, New York City be burnt, and the Hudson be held at the Highlands and West Point, and that the bonds binding the Colonies be by a less exposed route, but the view of Congress prevailed and Washington and his army were ordered from Boston to New York. The battle of Long Island has historic prominence as the first battlefield after the Declaration of Independence, for the brave fighting of raw American troops, and the masterly retreat of Washington. The glory of the Pennsylvania Germans is that they were the chief instrumentality in preventing the total rout and capture of the American forces engaged. The only other body to divide this honor was the gallant Maryland Cavalry. The surrender of Washington and his army would probably have been the speedy termination of the struggle for independence.
The Easton Company numbered 101 men of whom 88 were German. All the Commissioned officers were Germans and all the non-comissioned officers but two.
The battle of Long Island was the Thernopylae of the Revolution and the Pennsylvania Germans were the Spartans.
The overwhelming British Army assembled at New York 55 ships of war and 400 transports, carrying 35,000 men, 27,000 of whom were thoroughly trained and equipped soldiers. Washington had less than 20,000 soldiers of all kinds, 4000 of whom were absolutely unfit for duty. Less than 6000 had even a year's experience in arms. Their commanding officers were mostly without military training or experience. General Knox had just been selling books; General Sullivan was a lawyer; General Putnam was a farmer, General Lord Stirling had seen a little service, and General Greene, the fittest of them all, was prostrated by fever.
The bulk of Washington's army was at New York, awaiting an attack there, while on Long Island, the British force was about four to one American. The field of battle lies now within the limits of the city of Brooklyn, its Greenwood Cemetery, Prospect Park and Evergreen Cemetery, and hence the later name Battle of Brooklyn.
There were four passes through the wooded hills. Washington and Greene had ordered these to he guarded but for some reason one was overlooked and the other forsaken. At the other two the battle was mainly fought. It is with one of these that we have chiefly to deal. It was near the extreme American right and nearest the British landing. It now lies within the southern boundary of Greenwood Cemetery, and was the most exposed point. This was Martense Lane, leading from the old Flatbush road to the village of Brooklyn, and not far from the Narrows. Across the lane on either side was thrown Col. Kichline's regiment of Pennsylvania - German riflemen, on the evening of August 26th. Col. Atlee’s regiment of Pennsylvania Musketeers were thrown out as skirmishers, occupying an orchard nearby. General Stirling was in command. General Putnam guarded Flatbush pass. Before these weak and far extended lines, of not more than 5000 men, lay 20,000 British and Hessians under Cornwallis, DeHeister, and Grant.
Col. Kichline was an officer of sleepless vigilance in the presence of an enemy. During the night he discovered an advance of Grant’s force along Martense Lane. He at once sent a messenger to Gen. Putnam, who at S A. M. August 27th, ordered General Stirling to reinforce Kichline with a Maryland, a Delaware, and a Connecticut regiment. The battle began through the early hours of daylight, but through Kichline's vigilance the Americans were not surprised. Col. Atlee’s skirmishers were driven out of the orchard, and retreated along the Gowanus road. Here the retreat was arrested by the advance of Stirling with his reinforcements. In the meantime, the British had thrown themselves on Kichline’s riflemen. Some of these had seen service in border Indian warfare, and all of them were frontier hunters and sharpshooters. With stout unflinching German hearts they received the British charge. The fight was obstinate and severe, and Kichlines riflemen posted in the woods at the foot of the Greenwood Hills were found equal to the heroic struggle against great odds. Not a man wavered. Their good, brave leader held them in firm command. Their fire was rapid and unbroken nor was there a shot wasted in their unerring aim. At last, under their galling fire, the British were compelled to retreat and fall hack on their original lines and supports. The Pennsylvania - Germans held their positions without losing an inch of ground and Col. Atlee’s skirmishers were able to re-occupy their position from which they had been driven.
Gen. Grant lay less than half a mile in front of the Americans. He was re-inforced by two regiments from the British fleet. Unfortunately, British scouts had discovered during the night that Bedford Pass and Jamaica Pass were left Ungarded by the Americans. Cornwallis entered the passes unopposed and reached Bedford Plains. The American line was thus turned and their rear attacked. Grant and DeHeister were waiting to hear Cornwallis’ signal guns before resuming the attack. The first gun from Cornwallis announced that he had fallen on the American rear, and was the signal for DeHeister to force Flatbush Pass which he did. Grant now advanced on Martense Pass and his whole line sprang into battle. Col. Atlee’s brave skirmishers were soon slaughtered or made prisoners, and again the brunt of battle fell upon Kichline's regiment. DeHeister’s Hessians felt on Stirling’s rear. He gathered about him three hundred brave Marylanders and fought until almost to a man they had fallen before the Hessian rifles and the guns of Cornwallis. He surrendered his sword to DeHeister. Gen. Grant’s attack on Col. Kichline's unaided regiment left them in the “jaws of death”, their retreat cut off, and in the face of an overwhelming foe. They manfully stood their ground under the Greenwood hills where a monument today marks the scene of their heroism. Grant fell dead under the fire of Kichline's riflemen. This fact is mentioned in the dispatches of Lord Howe, the British Commander. But the fight was all in vain, a few hundred Spartans against the Persian thousands. The brave Pennsylvania Germans were crushed between the Hessians and the English. Neither British nor Hessians gave quarter, and the noble regiment was in part actually massacred.
Out of less than one hundred of the Easton Company engaged in the Battle, seventy one were either killed or wounded. Among the wounded and taken prisoners was Col. Kichlein. His son, Lieut. Peter Kichlein, escaped. When the prisoners of Col. Kichlein’s regiment were exchanged, they dragged their emaciated bodies to their Pennsylvania homes. The churches of Easton became temporary hospitals. Of the Reformed Church Col. Kichlein was one of the founders and officers. He had aided to erect this building. He first saw it when finished as a hospital for his sick and wounded soldiers. When these poor fellows reached the little village of Easton, the women eagerly set to work to bake and cook for them, and so famished were these maltreated men that they would snatch up and devour the raw dough. Col. Kichlein’s daughter, the grandmother of Gen. Chas. A. Heckman and Rev. Geo. C. Heckman, D. D., was confirmed in the newly dedicated church. This venerable building, or a part of it, still stands, and is known as the Third Street Reformed Church, or First Reformed Church of Easton.
Among the papers left by Colonel Kichline, we find the following bill:
Mr. Joseph Martin, to Peter Kachline, Dr. 1776.
Nov. 22, To cash lent you when prisoner in New York 250£
Dec. 30th to 3 half Johannies lent you at the same place 900£
Just what was to be understood by the Johannies let the reader to guess, but the value is easily understood, The Joseph Martin mentioned in the old bill was he after whom Martin’s Creek was named, and was the grandfather of Joseph Martin, so long a teacher in Easton. He was First Lieut. in Captain Arndt’s Company and was taken prisoner at Fort Washington and Peter Kichline did him this friendly act while a prisoner. The bill was left among his papers and not collected after his death, and is more important as a relic now than the money it represents.
The Colonel was paroled and a copy of his parole is in possession of Mrs. Meyers of Easton. When he left the army service, he returned to Easton and was appointed Colonel of the Militia of the County, and was active in the Indian wars that came in connection with the Indians from New York. An invasion of the Indians occurred in the spring of 1780 and caused a good deal of alarm and distress. Messrs. Strong, Depui and Van Campen received letters from the Council to encourage the people and assure them of the sympathy of the government. On the 11th of April, Colonel Peter Kichline, Lieutenant of the County of Northampton, received a letter enclosing a copy of the resolution of the supreme council for calling out the militia and authorizing him to offer Fifteen Hundred dollars for every Indian or Tory prisoner and one thousand dollars for every Indian scalp, and also that Colonel Peter Kichline be directed to order out the men under the former militia law, if the same does not exceed one hundred men including officers, to march immediately to the Townships of Lower Smithfield, Delaware and upper Smithfield to repress the incursion of the savages. He was also authorized to embody the militia of the County, in case of actual invasion without loss of time and report as soon as convenient to the hoard. Captain Joseph Stiles was also instructed to deliver to Abraham Cortwright, two hundred weight of powder, eight hundred weight of lead, and five hundred flints for the use of Northampton County, to be delivered to Colonel Peter Kichline, Lieutenant of said County. Preparation was made for war, and our sturdy citizen was the first in command. The Colonel was fifty eight years old, and had been in public service for many years and in April 1780, he resigned his office and retired to private life. Col. Records Vol. 17, 317. He served as Sheriff of Northampton County from 1762 to 1772. He built the first grist mill on the Boshkill, which stream became a great factor in the prosperity and wealth of Baston. His son Peter who was a. Lieut. in Captain Arndt’s Company, owned a farm about two miles west of Easton, In the closing days of his life the Colonel lived with his son. The town of Easton was surveyed in 1750, and thirty nine years from that date it was incorporated as a borough. The act of Incorporation was passed Sept. 23, 1789. Section third of the Act named the officers of the Borough Government as follows: Peter Kichline, Burgess, Henry Barnet, Jacob Weygandt, William Raub, and John Protzman, Frederick Barthold, High Constable, Samuel Sitgrieves, Town Clerk, and these were to continue in office till the first Monday in May, 1790, or till others were elected. Colonel Peter Kichline did not long enjoy the honor of his appointment as Chief Burgess. He was appointed September 23, 1789 and died November 27, 1789. He was just two months and three days in office. He died at the home of his sort Peter, who lived near what is now the Fountain House, about two miles west of Faston. The house in which the Colonel died was torn down, and in 1794, Lieutenant Kichline built a substantial stone house, which still stands and is used as a hotel. The Fountain House, so called because of a very beautiful spring boiling up under the western end of the building. It has a very copious flow of water , sending off a beautiful stream through the fields. This stream has been well supplied with trout, which are seen playing in the limpid water. The old stone house has been covered by building a new one over it and this gives the appearance of a neat wooden structure. In the attic of the new wing, or west end of the building, the gable end of the old stone building is left uncovered, and toward the apex of the gable is a hewn stone and on the surface are cut the following letters and date: “P. K. 1794.” The house will always be a center of interest to the lovers of Easton’s history as it was built by one of the stern patriots of the Revolution, who gallantly fought by the side of his father in the battle of Brooklyn. From a copy of the Colonel's will we learn that he left five children: Peter, Andrew, Susanna, Jacob, and Elizabeth. Peter received the homestead, upon which he built the Fountain base four years after his father's death. All the rest of the Estate was divided equally among the five children.
Y Peter Kachlein, a son of Col. Peter Kachlein, was horn April 7, 1750, and died November 19th, 1828. He married Elizabeth, who was born June 5, 1760 and died Sept. 14, 1829. He was a commissioned officer in the Revolution and fought in the Battle of Long Island.
Andrew Kachlein, second son of Col. Kachlein, was born in 1752 and died January 24, 1821. married and issue.
Jacob Kachlein, third son of Col. Peter Kachlein, was born in 1758 and died January 21, 1833. He married Maria Bender who was born August 3, 1766 and died January 1848. Issue: Jacob, John, Aaron, Charles, Peter, Anna, Mary, Elizabeth.
Anna or Annie Kachlein was horn May 16, 1792, and died April 22, 1841. She was married May 16, 1808 to Peter Young, who was horn October 1, 1784, and died October 9, 1854. issue: William, John K., Mary, Peter, Henrietta, Henry J., David, Alexander, Edward, Ellen, Sophia, Anna, Susan.
Henry J. Young was bern November 24, 1816, died August 13, 1893. He was married January 27, 1842, to Louisa Sherwood, who was born August 26, 1821, died April 10, 1889. Issue: David, Edwin, Henrietta, John Marshall, Anna B.
John Marshall Young was born October 2, 1850. He married on October 7, 1880, Sarah F. Lake, who was born September 7, 1854. Issue: Henry S. Young, horn January 2, 1884.
Mary Kachlein, daughter of Jacob Kachlein, was horn November 1, 1799, died December 12, 1843. She married James Black June 28, 1790, who died May 5, 1829. Issue: Daniel, Annie M., Margaret, John.
Annie M. Black was born August 17, 1820, died October 28, 1891. She married Capt. John Eyerman August 1 5, 1844, who was born July 6, 1808, died January 6, 1883. Issue: Edward E., John.
Margaret Black was horn July 20, 1822, died July 29, 1893. She was married August 29, 1846 to Phineas Kinsey, who was horn August 9, 1823, died December 3, 1854. Issue: Mary B. Kinsey, James B. Kinsey, Howard P. Kinsey.
Susanna Kachlein, daughter of Col. Peter Kachlein, was horn May 7, 1760,
and died November 4,1820. She married on August 27, 1780, Peter Schnyder,
who was born in Easton, Pa., February 5, 1753, and lied in Easton, November
18, 1823. Their children were—
Elizabeth m. Frederick Mattes
Susanna m. John Young, Jr.
Mary -m. John Heckman
Margaret m. William Scholey
Peter iii. Elizabeth Herster
William rn. 1st Sarah Walter, 2d. Susan Beysher, 3d. Margaret
Ann, m. William Bittenbender
Susanna Schnyder, daughter of Peter and Susanna Schnyder, married John Young, Jr. Their children were—
Elizabeth m. John Edelman
Maria m. Philip Maxwell Kinsey
Susan m. Rev. John Wolff Zebulon—
Maria Young, born May 3, 1805, in Easton, Pa., died at Hazleton, Pa.,
December 19, 1889, (daughter of John Young, Jr., and Susanna Schnyder,)
married on January 21, 1823, Philip Maxwell Kinsey, born April 28, 1798,
and died May 12, 1876. Item of their wedding in the Easton Sentinel in
the issue of January 24, 1823, they are both buried in the Easton Cemetery.
Their children were—
Anna Maria -m. Rev. Joseph Hannabery
John Ingham m. Mary C. Ashmore
Susanna Elizabeth m. Philip Connor
Josephine Virginia - died unmarried.
John Ingham Kinsey, Sr., was born in Easton, Pa., February 8,1828, died
in Easton, April 27, ~9l0, married Mary Chambers Ashmore on December 21,
1853. Their children (twins) were:
William Phillip Kinsey - m. Maria B. Sager
Emma Florence Kinsey - m. William H. Keller
William Philip Kinsey was born October 16, 1854, and died February 25, 1924, having married on October 23, 1876, Maria B. Sager, and they were survived by one son - John Ingham Kinsey, second - born in Easton, December 22, 1882, married June 5, 1913, to Marguerite W. Fretz, and they have one son - John Ingham Kinsey, third - born in Easton, Pa., June 7, 1915.
Elizabeth Kachlein, daughter of Col. Peter Kachlein, by his third wife,
was born October 24, 1774, died May 18, 1827. She was baptized February
14, 1775. She married Peter Ihrie who was born June 28, 1765 and died May
19, 1833. Descendants of the Peter Ihrie family are Gen. Peter Ihrie -
Col. Charles Ihire and Gen. Ceo. P. Ihrie of Grant’s staff.
Miscellaneous Records in Penna. Hist. Soc. 1727-57 pp. 47, 131, 159, 251; 1758 —67. pp. 75, 247, 59; 1767-78. pp. 5, 45, 79, 81, 105, 19, 23, 25, 61, 71, 73, 81, 83, 91, 215, 17, 53; 1778-97, pp. 81, 113, 57, 61, 63, 69, 71.
Memoirs L. I. fist. Soc. Vol. 2,1869, pp. 175, 238, 39, 353, 56, 57, 98.
Proctors’ Pa. German Soc. ~ PP. 61 to 81. Davis’ fist, of Bucks Co., 516.
Pritts’ History of Northampton County, pp. 147, 50, 240.
The German Soldier “Rosengarten” pp. 152 to 154. fist, of Lehigh Co. pp. 11.
Numerous references in History of Lehigh Valley.
Rupp’s Northampton. Conditt’s History of Easton.
Skizzen - Aus Dem Lecha - Thale, pp. 113, 129, 131.
Col. Kichlein was in the public service, civil and military, thirty four years, and died with his harness on. He was an honest man, a wise counselor, a liberal benefactor, a kind neighbor, a brave soldier, a faithful official, a patriotic citizen and a devout Christian.
His descendants are widely scattered over our Country. Many of these hear his name. Others prominent in the history of Easton were Peter Schneider, Gen. Peter Ihrie, Col. Chas. Ihrie, the Eyermans, the Youngs, the Blacks, the Kinseys and others. Many of his descendants served in our late civil war. Two of these were Gen. Geo. P. Ihrie, of Grant’s Staff, and Gen. Charles A. Heckman, of Philadelphia.
The writer of the History of the Lehigh Valley says: “He was a true patriot, and an honest man”. Another has told us that “an honest man is the noblest work of God” and when this is added to the character of the man who goes fearlessly to the front in the heat of battle to defend the liberties of his country, who mingles iii civil and official life without reproach, we have a character worthy of our profoundest regard, and erie which may be studied with profit. in the short period of service as Chief Burgess of the City of Easton he displayed splendid executive ability of a truly courageous order.
The time and place of his birth, the character arid extent of his education, his environments and inheritances, are but incidents and episodes - the arena on which he pursued his purpose, the instrument by which lie accomplished his will,
He possessed an invincible spirit that did not know the meaning of either retreat or surrender. To him such an idea as surrender was inconceivable when once he believed he was right. This was because of the intensity of his convictions with regard to what was right. He came to his convictions through a logical process. His convictions therefore were deep rooted, and the thing about the conviction that was characteristic was the idea of right.
He was a personality, a force within himself, compelling and virile, moved more from within than from without, daring to think his thoughts and repose upon his own convictions.
In whatever relation of life he found himself, he was promptly drawn into the front rank and steadfastly maintained his place there by worth and work, asking no favors, but proving himself essential to the cause.
Those who were so fortunate as to have close relationship with him were proud to acclaim him as simply a good all around man’s man who played the game, believing in Cod and in his fellow man, and one who translated his faith into works.
His respect for constituted authority was proverbial. He never questioned the directions of a ranking official, nor permitted others to do so when the authority and responsibility were his own. He was gentle, when circumstances favored gentleness, but surely could emulate adamant wheh occasion justified.
He represented loyalty in his friendship, wisdom in his counsel, and splendid companionship, and comradeship. Some one has said:
I wrote my name upon the sand, and trusted it would stand for aye,
But soon, alas, the refluent sea had washed my feeble lines away.
I carved my name upon the wnod, and after years returned again,
I missed the shadow of the tree that stretched of old upon the plain.
The solid marble next tny name 1 gave as a proverbial trust,
An earthquake rent it to its base, and ‘tow it lies o’erlaid with dust.
All these had failed, I was perplexed. I turned and asked myself what then?
If I would have my name endure, Ill write it on the Hearts of Men.
He wrote his name indelibly upon the hearts of his fellow men.
One of the outstanding characteristics of our worthy ancestor was the simplicity of his character, in this he was most fortunate, for to lead a simple life one must he horn of a simpl.e nature. Properly speaking, to lead a simple life is to fulfill the highest human destiny. Simplicity is largely a state of mind, It is freedom from artificial ornament os style. In our modern complex life every movement that humanity has made toward enlightenment atid justice is in reality a movement towards greater simplicity of life.
While he was a religious man, his religion was not of the dark and gloomy kind. Upon the contrary he extracted joy from his religion as he did from his life generally. His character was one of his greatest assets and to the best of my khowledge the finger of scandal never touched him, and I never heard of his honesty having been questioned.
If greatness can be found in the quality of deeds quietly done, by a heart and mind bent to the limit of ability in the service of mankind, then I claim for our great kinsman, a kind of greatness, a kind in which I imagine, the Lord delighteth.
I want to continue to add tribute that weils from my heart’s core in appreciation of the life and character of Colonel Peter Kichline, who fought so valiantly under our matchless Washington, the illustrious Father of our Country.
In every age and country of the civilized world horror and homage have ever been paid to the illustrious dead. From palace hills and walls of the humble cabin look down the eyes long since turned to dust. In cathedral wall, in college room and legislative ball, in private park and public square stand the sculptured forms of earth’s chosen dead. Everywhere we find the love-inscribed slab, the rock-hewn tomb, the marble shaft, the granite monument, and herd and there like forqt leaves are graves without a stone where love comes so oft to plant• skeet flowers within its hallowed mold and waters them with the tears of fond remembrance.
The only safe leader is one whose judgment is inspired by convictions of principle and dtity. Our great Kinsman had physical, intellectual, and moral courage. It was part of Iris very nature, and it was developed by constant exercise. He had tlra.t courage that enabled him to stand alone without being wedged in a crowd.
Courage, that highest gift, that scorns to bend
To mean devices for a sordid end. -
Courage—an independent spark from heaven’s bright throne
By which the soul stands raised, triumphant, high, alone.
Few men are heroes. For one soul who has this high courage there are scores who have a passion for self interest that oft times makes cowards of them. No man can become a leader of men and retain that leadership very long who does not possess that high courage that will cause him to do right without regard t.o his own self interest.
His courage did riot lead to recklessness. He ha.d a perpetual serenity arid sunshine of spirit, though always lirtn and positive in his convictions. Moderate and candid, he was al~vays unyielding with regard to principle. Integrity was as inseparable from his character as fragrance from the rose or music from running water. Men knew that he was free from artifice and disguise and sophistry, and they were willing to follow his leadership. If it be true that “the man of absolute integrity and of supreme devotion to duty will not be denied a place among the great” he is entitled to high rank,
After all, for those who have done their duty here death is but a transttion into a larger, better, and more glorious life where our opportunities will be greater and where we may fully enjoy the fruits of a well spent life on earth.
One of his greatest virtues was his capacity far friendship. I mean by that his ability to be everything which the word implies that one should he who sustains that relationship to another. True friendship goes further than the cordial relations of acquaintances, which are often “as the snowflake on the river, a moment white, then gooe”, it goes into the relations, attitudes, and dispositions of men. There are those who scoff at the idea of friendship; they hold it as an empty and an absolute sentiment. Perhaps there is some justification for their cynicism when we look at the relative place the subject holds in ancient as compared with modern literature. Friendship was largely the theme of the greatest of ancient philosophers; in fact, in all the ancient systems of philosophy friendship was an integral part of that system. But it is as true now as in ancient times that men do not care to live without frieods even though they possess everything else good. “Greater love than this bath no man, that he lay down his life for his friend”, is a forceful, Scriptural recognition of the relation of friendship.
Sympathy is indispensable with man and he craves it the same as his body craves and needs food and raiment. It is comparatively easy to sympathize with a friend in distress and adversity, but the heart sometimes flutters with envy and jealousy when we congratulate him upon his success. But true friendship has no room for envy and jealousy, and rejoices as much for the success of others as it does for its ewn. Sympathy responds to gladness as well as to grief. The siege is never so severe, the battle not so hard fought, and the victory is all the sweeter if men are consciou,s that the golden thread of friendship connects them with others standing ever ready to recruit them with their sympathies and material aid. Our great Kinsman always rejoiced at the success of a friend, and you never had a sorrow he would not divide. Such a capability. may never have enriched him in material wealth, but it made him rich in friends.
When the sun was shining and the weather clear for his friends he was light, cheerful and buoyant, but it was in the hour when his friend was in the depths, when gloom hovered over those he loved, when the skies were darkened to those that had his affection that he would shine out resplendently, grandly, for it was in that hour he rose to sublime heights. Then he was at their side and by sheer force of his presence illumined the darkness ahead. To share and have part in the sorrows and afilictions of souls like his was irresistahle to that splendid spirit. Sympathy with him was that which broadens the mind, tempers the vision, and makes golden the hearthstone where we with loved ooes dwell. Spiritually we are that whidh we have delighted iii sentimentally. A choice expression fixed in his memory was “be thou the rainbow to the storms of life, the evening beam that smiles the clouds away -
Oft in the stilly night, when slumbers chains have bound us will some fond memories of our illustrious and beloved dead with ever increasing admiration and affection.
Our prayer is that what he stood for will make a lasting impression upon us all, so that his thoughts and ideas may be brought to their full fruition.
Being of Swiss descent or ancestry, I am proud to know that I have coursing through my veins that spirit of Liberty, that is backed by an ancestry of liberty loving people who fought for and have enjoyed liberty for a period of nearly six hundred years, but I am prouder still to he privileged to be a citizen of the Greatest Republic under the sun—. a nation that has stood for justice and progress, ever since its flag was unfurled a century and a half ago.
You may say that is sentiment. Of course it is sentiment, but you need to remember that sentiment is a mighty force in the development of civilization. It is the mainspring to patriotism, and loyal service and loyal sacrifice. It is that which will invigorate the soul of America to meet triumphantly the responsibilities of the hour. In the splendid record of the life and services of our great ancestors, and especially of the one last reviewed in this humble writeup, there surely is Merit and you need to remember that -
Merit is a mighty force,
Springing from a mighty source.
Envy can not bar its sway,
Malice has no power to stay,
But like the brook that finds the sea,
Merit ends triumphantly.
THOMAS J. KICHLINE